Wednesday, July 28, 2010

"You try to work for people You let the people down." -Dorothea Lasky, from Black Life

Catharsis



I went out to the field

where I once saw

hundreds of elephants


galloping around like

wild horses


to try to join them


once I got close enough

I noticed that these weren’t

regular sized elephants


they were the size

of stuffed toy elephants


I managed to touch one

as it galloped by and it felt

like a stuffed toy elephant


I began to feel like a child

again so I grabbed a few

of them and began squeezing them


and throwing them in the air

and laughing hysterically


when I finally became aware

of my surroundings again

I noticed all the little elephants

had stopped dead in the field

some on their sides and backs


I walked around and picked up

a few but they remained lifeless


a cool breeze came over the field

and it seemed like something

had its breath taken away


still determined to join them

I fell to the ground on my side

and tried to stop breathing


been here ever since

No comments:

Post a Comment