Thursday, July 15, 2010

"I happened to myself in these very woods." -Joshua Marie Wilkinson, from Selenography

Marathon Man



There was a slow explosion

right behind me


I decided to run

and I left

the slow explosion behind


I met a woman

and had a family

and we got a dog


but then the slow explosion

caught up to me

and swallowed my family whole


I decide to run again

for longer this time

so that maybe the slow

explosion wouldn’t catch up again


so that maybe it wouldn’t know

where to find me


I ended up at the beach

and I bought myself a nice beachside

property and there were palm trees

and I drank daiquiris every day


I lived there for many years

until the slow explosion caught up

and swallowed the property

the drinks and the wait staff whole


I began to feel selfish for running

because in the chase

the explosion had claimed

so many innocent lives


so I faced the slow explosion

and noticed that it wasn’t an explosion at all


it was hundreds of trees

all growing like wild-fire


with autumn leaves that looked

like wild-fire


and they were all hungry for blood


they ate me up

and I became one of them


a slow exploding tree


and I was finally with my family

and the wait staff again


and we are all hungry for blood


No comments:

Post a Comment