Wednesday, July 14, 2010

"I appear, the thought appears: quark." -Heather Christle, from The Difficult Farm

Bad Breath While Laughing



I opened my big mouth again

and a little sparrow flew out


it was flying and beating

like a heart beats

and I clutched to my chest


I opened my big mouth again

to call to the little sparrow

to come back that I

needed it


and two more sparrows flew out

both inhaling and exhaling deeply


the three sparrows fluttered together

and began flying away


and I began chasing them


every time I call out

more sparrows fly out

each mimicking some sort

of internal organ that’s vital


one gurgled like my stomach


another churned like kidneys do


I want to stop calling to the little sparrows

but I just can't


I’m still chasing the sparrows

and still calling after them


and I’m not sure what’s left in me


but I’m waiting for that last sparrow to fly out

and grab me by my shoulders


to fly away with my hollow body

No comments:

Post a Comment