Friday, August 20, 2010

"I should put on tighter shorts for a new perspective." -Matthew Rohrer, from A Plate of Chicken

Strength



I bumped into Patricia in the busy street. Oh, wow, I barely recognized you I said. That’s because I don’t know you she said. Right, but, well, I suppose I thought that you would have looked different I said. Patricia looked around the street. I think you’ve mistaken me for someone else she said. Of course, but look at how you’ve grown up. It’s been years I said. We have never met before she said. Patricia, it’s me, Allan I said. My name is Mary she said. We stared at each other for a moment. People kept brushing past us, all on their own missions. Cars drove by, and some of the drivers glanced at us. Should we go grab a coffee and catch up I said. Patricia put her hands on my shoulder, and leant close to my ear. Let’s call it grabbing a coffee and talking about all the lifetimes we’ve had apart from one another she said. I nodded gravely. She took my hand, and we began walking behind a group of people, all of them hurried. The last person of the group turned to us. I don’t recognize you two he said. He turned back, and began walking a bit faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment