Sunday, August 15, 2010

"An egg was hatching in my hand, the egg of an otter. Otters don't lay eggs, but I was starving." -James Tate, from The Ghost Soldiers

Calling it Quits


As we fell into rank, I clutched my family photo behind my back and shuddered for a moment. The general came in and began his address to prepare us. Many of us may not make it today, but we will all be brave, and those who die, die with an honor. He was pacing back and forth along the long line of us, but, at me, he stopped. Why are you shuddering he said. No reason, sir I said. What is that behind your back he said as he craned his neck towards my right side. Nothing nothing nothing I said as he grabbed the photo. He stared at it for a few moments. What the hell is this he said. My family, sir I said. This is a picture of moths on a streetlamp he said. I’m a moth, sir I said. He looked my moth body up and down. I can’t believe nobody noticed before he said. I’d still like to serve my country, sir I said, but it’s beginning to rain, and I’m afraid my wings will be of no use. The general stood still for a long while, for the first time in his long military career, truly stumped. The rest of the soldiers began shifting from foot to foot and moving their arms, as if they didn’t know a comfortable position for them to hang by how they were attached. The general sensed their unrest. You’ll be brave, and we’ll all be brave, wings or not he said. He ordered us to go, and so we went, very bravely.

No comments:

Post a Comment