Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"Went to a fight. Contact improvisation broke out." -Sawako Nakayasu, from Texture Notes

Call



I walked into my chicken coop to collect eggs in the morning. It seemed as though all my chickens had been replaced by small, soft, baby rabbits. Confounded, I began to walk out of the coop. Wait I heard a voice say. I turned back, but there was nobody. Don’t you want your eggs the voice said. It was coming from one of the slots near the back of the coop. I shook my head and walked back to my house. Later that day, I was at the hardware store, picking up a set of socket wrenches when I saw Cornelius. Hey, Corn I said. Why, Jefferson, it’s been so long he said. How have you been I said. Great, just been worried about Darleen. She’s on vacation in the Pocono’s he said. Hasn’t she been on that vacation for years I said. Cornelius frowned. You always did like to open wounds, Jefferson he said. I’m sorry, Corn. Want to hear the damndest thing I said. Cornelius nodded, but he continued to frown. When I went to my coop this morning, it was full of the cutest little rabbits I’ve ever seen, and then when I was leaving, I heard on of them talk to me, ask me if I wanted my eggs I said. Cornelius nodded. You believe me I said. Crazier things have happened he said. Why, the other day, all my horses turned into cows. Imagine the scene, a field full of galloping, braying cows he said. We looked at the wall of tools in silence for what seemed like an eternity. Farming isn’t what it used to be I said. Cornelius nodded, but he was in a faraway place. Maybe in the Pocono’s with Darleen, riding on cows into the sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment