Wednesday, November 3, 2010

"Among human faces, deep in the sun of a real young mother, under blowing unmagical snow." -Matthew Zapruder, from Come On All You Ghosts

Hearing



As I step onto the subway, I immediately notice a person who looks exactly like me. At first, I think that he is my reflection, but sure enough, he is three-dimensional. I know this because I walk around him, sitting and fast sleep, and view him from every possible angle. He is like a perfect wax replica, and he is even wearing clothes that are remarkably similar to mine. The other passengers look on with marked interest. One approaches me. Is this your twin the woman says. No, I’ve never encountered this person before I say. She turns back to the other passengers and nods. Another passenger stands up. A long lost twin, maybe the man says. No, not that I know of, at least I say. All the other passengers look at each other and nod, seemingly in unison. Well, this town isn’t big enough for the both of you the woman says. One of you has to go the man says. On cue, the person who looks exactly like me begins to stir. When our eyes meet, we immediately understand each other. We’ll have to fight this mob off, and one of us is sure to die, but it’s the noble and brave way to go about this sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment