Monday, November 8, 2010

"We found our car and sped off into the primeval darkness." -James Tate, from Return to the City of White Donkeys

Target



I went in to work, and my boss told me my task for the day, like he did every time I came in. Today, Bob, you’re going to stack as many pencils as you can into a pyramid he said. I sat down and opened the drawers to my desk. They were filled with perfectly sharpened pencils. I stacked a few pencils together, but one of the bottom foundation pencils gave way, causing the entire pile to scatter and fall all over my desktop and the floor. I gathered the pencils, and started stacking them again. I did this until my hands were trembling and sore, but I just couldn’t manage to make a good pyramid. I wasn’t able to do it I said as my boss walked in. That’s ok, you did good work. See you tomorrow, Bob he said, giving me a hard pat on the back that nearly knocked me out of my seat. The next day, I walked in a few minutes late. I had trouble sleeping, because my hands were trembling too violently. Hey there, Bob. Are we feeling a little under the weather he said. I need my star worker, today. I nodded. I’m fine, really I said. Ok, well, today I need you to tear as many Kleenex in half as you can he said. Then, at the end of the day, I want to see how many you can toss into the air at the same time he said. I opened my drawers, and they were filled with Kleenex, now. Also, Bob, I want to just commend you on how great of a job you’ve been doing. Really brilliant work. You’re a valuable asset to the company he said, slamming me on the back again. I’m not sure why I kept that job. My name isn’t even Bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment