Monday, September 13, 2010

"That's how I felt when I was eight years old & my home broke apart." -Mathias Svalina, from Destruction Myth

Known



I went to the roof of my building, where you immediately began trying to push me off. This building is a cliff I said. I’ll be crushed and you know it. This didn’t stop you. We rolled around, struggling, breathing heavily, for dear life. I then decided to turn the tables, and not only tried to save myself, but also tried to push you off. You’ll fall for forever I said. You’ll fall and be away. You grabbed the cement block that held the door open and hurled it at me. I ducked and felt it graze the top of my hair. The door shut. We’re stuck out here now, you lunatic I said. You charged at me as I charged at you. Our heads joined together in a burst of cerulean light that, from a few miles away, appeared on the horizon. The people of that town watched as more sparks grew at the edge of what they saw, and they got on their hands and knees and began weeping. Their savior was coming. It was foretold this way. Back on the roof, you had picked up a wrench, and I, a piece of scaffolding.

No comments:

Post a Comment