Wednesday, September 8, 2010

"But the man is in his 20s, too young to revert, not yet not yet." -Sawako Nakayasu, from Texture Notes

Enchanting



I met Kimberly at the park, and the first thing I noticed was that her face was missing. What happened to your face I said. She shrugged, and some muscles in her face tensed and relaxed, which was sort of disgusting looking, on that smooth, fleshy patch where her face once was. I’ll fix this right up I said, and began walking towards the makeup store, leading her by the hand. On the way, I bumped into Dane, who, apparently, was also missing his face. And what happened to your face I said. His face creased at the very middle and jiggled up and down a bit, which made my stomach turn, like upon seeing a deep wound on somebody else. Come with us I said, and put his arm on my shoulder, so that I could lead him. Tristan was at the corner store, shaking her flat, featureless face at the cashier, who seemed very alarmed. Come on with the rest I said, and put her hand on top of my head so that she could follow with the rest. Annabelle, Joey, Sterling, and Jacqueline were experiencing the same problem, and so I invited them to come with us to the makeup store as well. Chelsea, Kacy, Jeremy, Miguel, and Blaire also joined. I received my doctorate in both The Remaking of Faces and Common Household Makeup Solutions, but I never thought things would end up like this. I never thought I would have to lead a group of contorting, faceless beasts to the makeup store, all of them wanting to bite me, but without the mouths to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment